New Acquisition: dohc turbo

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

New Acquisition: dohc turbo

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Finally got it shipped. Haven't taken too many pics as I am trying to get a valve cover gasket leak fixed. Its on the firewall side and no matter what I do it won't stop leaking. Its dripping down onto the header and smoking. Its right on the corner on the tranny side. Ideas?

Its running a 7729 ecm with a chip from darth and 36lb gtp injectors. Not sure if the injectors are really 36 or not. Can I install the mustang injectors in this? The mustangs are taller then whats currently in there. Here are the injectors.
http://www.shaun.saturnet.net/pics/dohc/100_1420.JPG

Can someone confirm the gtp injectors from the color?

If my wideband setup is reading correctly, this thing goes stupid lean when I put it to the floor and it gets close to 0 vacuum. It can't build boost however just because there is no fuel there. That is if it is in fact running lean according to the wideband.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Those look like stock 3800 injectors which are like 22lbs or something like that.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: New Acquisition: dohc turbo

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Finally got it shipped. Haven't taken too many pics as I am trying to get a valve cover gasket leak fixed. Its on the firewall side and no matter what I do it won't stop leaking. Its dripping down onto the header and smoking. Its right on the corner on the tranny side. Ideas?
Once these start leaking, you need a new gasket, there's no way around it. I tried tightening the cover more, adding silicone sealer, and more. You'll just need to go to the store, and bite the bullet. The price isn't too bad though. Make sure you get the 3 center spark plug rings, they are sometimes sold separate.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

take pics of the car.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Fuck me

needs some Crizzome fender lips

u will get races in that.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Drop the cradle a little bit and see if you can pull off the valve cover. At least yours don't have a cam sticking out the end, you can probably pull it off pretty easily.

Slap some injectors in that and lets race :thumbleft:
FormulaGT

Post by FormulaGT »

Car looks good, but please take off that wing, its hideous.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

You can get both valve covers off without dropping the cradle. The only problem is removing the front plug wires. You need to crack the plastic guide in half. Pull the wire out as far as you can, then crack it to the side, then pull the rest out.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I have had the plugwires out several times and the firewall valve cover off twice now. Not hard to take all that off. 5 minutes tops. It still leaks, tried rtv with the gasket and all that and still no go. Just haev to buy new ones I guess.
Last edited by Shaun41178(2) on Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I have had the plugs out several times and the firewall valve cover off twice now. It still leaks, tried rtv with the gasket and all that and still no go. Just haev to buy new ones I guess.
Yup. Once it starts leaking, you need a new gasket. Also, be sure to get the 3 ring gaskets that go around the plug bores, those are sometimes sold separately, but you need to replace them.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Is it leaking like really bad? It could be the cam carrier gasket which would just plain suck because then you would have to re-time it and everything. It goes between the head and the cam carrier obviously. If it's leaking alot I would bet that its that because the cam carrier cover doesnt have any pressurized ports on it. And if your buying new gaskets, just get a whole new head gasket set. You'll thank yourself later. Individual parts are so much more expensive.

BTW, I don't know what application these were meant for, I think their just universals but these are the injectors that I bought for my engine. 36 lb accel's. They are shorter than the stock ones a bit but clip in and don't leak. There's still plenty of length for the gasket to seal ont he rail and intake manifold.

My injectors: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

btw, under boost apparently these injecots will only support about 290 crank HP: http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx?Use ... lwkEJx5RJH

Funny thing is that unless Matt Hawkins changed out his injectors he was originally running 38 lb injectors. 38 lb=415 whp? i dunno, either something is fishy with the calculator or he changed injectors.
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I bet the calculator is only considering 80-85% duty cycle on the injectors, whereas Matt Hawkins may have been stretching them much closer to max.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

those are 3800sc injectors from lildevil before he upgraded to 42's
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

So did you just buy a whole new car? The black one is gone?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Its Kohburn's old car Paul.
whipped

Post by whipped »

oh yeah... now I remember seeing that pic before.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

yeah he bought my unfinished project when i lost motivation. but its been sitting around for a year with only the battery tender and monthly idle time, so it needs a little luvin.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

that car is nice...wayy too nice for shun , but atleast u know he will make it really fast

more pics!
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

glad someone got that car around here so we can keep an eye on it!

Kohburn did a good job with it.

And leave the wing on - it looks nice.