I need bellhousing bolt paterns

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

I need bellhousing bolt paterns

Post by p8ntman442 »

The guy that I work with says if I give him the autocad file he will make me the part. So I need the bolt patern of sbc bellhousing and fiero bellhousing. I have a sbc at home and a spare tranny, so I can do it myself, but if anyone knows of where there may be cad files with exact dim's that would be great.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Don't you have enough on your plate with that 2.8 AND a baby?

Whipped up my own adapter drawing a while back... Never made one because I went Northstar instead of SBC. I'll see if I can find it.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

Im not saying im gonna do a sbc swap now, but it would be nice to have the stupid adapter so I could in the future. besides im bored at work. I made up the template for the tranny last night on cardboard, and sketched it in cad today. Im gonna modle it in 3d soon. tonight Im gonna get the dims off a sbc/flywheel, to see how thick it can be. seems to me the thinner the better (more clutch disk spline on input shaft)
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

p8ntman442 wrote:Im not saying im gonna do a sbc swap now, but it would be nice to have the stupid adapter so I could in the future. besides im bored at work. I made up the template for the tranny last night on cardboard, and sketched it in cad today. Im gonna modle it in 3d soon. tonight Im gonna get the dims off a sbc/flywheel, to see how thick it can be. seems to me the thinner the better (more clutch disk spline on input shaft)
or a flywheel adaptor the same thickness as the bellhousing adaptor - that way you could bolt the adaptor to the sbc crank and bolt a stock fiero flywheel to the adaptor
KissMySSFiero

Post by KissMySSFiero »

p8ntman442 wrote:Im not saying im gonna do a sbc swap now, but it would be nice to have the stupid adapter so I could in the future. besides im bored at work. I made up the template for the tranny last night on cardboard, and sketched it in cad today. Im gonna modle it in 3d soon. tonight Im gonna get the dims off a sbc/flywheel, to see how thick it can be. seems to me the thinner the better (more clutch disk spline on input shaft)
I've never taken measurements from a stock sbc 153 tooth flywheel. I've compared them to Archies flywheel. Not side by side, so I can't be exact. But they look the same for the most part. You would need to change the clutch bolt pattern from a stock sbc to fit the fiero clutch. There was a guy on Old Europe that used a stock sbc FW but modified it to work. He had to grind a beveled edge around the perimeter of the FW so it didn't rub on the trans bellhousing.

After building my sbc fiero, I've come to the conclusion V8Archie started by using a modified 153t FW and made and adapter thick enough so the surface of the FW was the same as it was on a stock fiero. This way a stock fiero clutch can be used. And it's still this way with his kit.

Archies automatic kit uses an adapter on the crank to fit the fiero auto flexplate. The auto kit uses a different, thicker adapter plate.
You couldn't use a stock fiero flywheel with archies adapter. The starter most likely wouldn't line up because of the smaller diameter of the fiero FW. Of course, if you built your own adapter, this isn't a problem. You can make the starter mount however your heart desires.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The thing about the starter is that you CAN'T mount it wherever your heart desires. In fact, your latitude in mounting the starter is fairly limited. I don't think it can be mounted close enough to the crank CL on the Chevy engine to use the smaller FWD flywheel.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

From my measurements using a fiero clutch disk and a sbc flywheel, the adapter plate can be made up to .5" thick resulting in .625" of the clutch disk splines being on the input shaft of the tranny. if I use a flywheel adaptor of any thickness I gain that much more on the shaft splines. mounting the starter may be a problem.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

You do NOT want to decrease the amount of clutch that engages the trans input shaft splines.

You can NOT have a flywheel adapter of any old thickness. Since it has to accept bolts, the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM thickness is the diameter of the bolt you're going to use, and you really ought to use a good bit more than that.

Don't forget that the Chevy crank snout sticks out past the bellhousing face by about 11/16" or so, while the 2p8 and all FWD crank snouts are flush.
That's why Zumalt made his flywheel the way he did and also why Zumalt kits have problems with their flywheels.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:You do NOT want to decrease the amount of clutch that engages the trans input shaft splines.
I knew this, thats why a flywheel adapter sounded good.
The Dark Side of Will wrote: You can NOT have a flywheel adapter of any old thickness. Since it has to accept bolts, the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM thickness is the diameter of the bolt you're going to use, and you really ought to use a good bit more than that.
I knew this, its comon sense
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Don't forget that the Chevy crank snout sticks out past the bellhousing face by about 11/16" or so, while the 2p8 and all FWD crank snouts are flush.
That's why Zumalt made his flywheel the way he did and also why Zumalt kits have problems with their flywheels.
I didnt know that, thanks. Im not familiar with the zumalt design or archies or street dreams, im just going by what needs to be there for the thing to work. I dont plan on producing these more than once (if I even do once).
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Street Dreams, HTD, etc... are all copies of the Zumalt kit.
Indy

Post by Indy »

I'll try to get some bellhousing measurements tonight and get them posted here.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
rockcrawl
The Best

Post by rockcrawl »

Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

now thats handy
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Straight out the Chevy Power Book (I think).

Same drawings I used to whip up the CAD file I can't find for the adapter plate I never made.