BMW advice

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

S8n

Re: BMW advice

Post by S8n »

You know you want to. Just do it. On a side note, you se the specs on the new BMW X6 M? 555 hp, 21 lbs of boost into a V8. Crazy shit.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

11 out of 12 studs unscrewed from the head without incident. The nut unscrewed from the remaining stud (!) which is still in the head. I suspect that I'll be able to get it out with vice grips, but I haven't tried yet.

So now I can take both manifolds to the bench to get the exhaust studs out instead of trying to do it in the car.

The yard from whom I bought the transmission didn't get it shipped until Thursday, so I won't be able to work on that until next weekend.

OT: http://www.bmwcoupe.nu/e24/engines.html
Interesting M30/M90 engine info. If I could find a block from a '78-'81 635CSi or '84-'89 M635CSi (yeah, right) I could use an M30B35 crank and build a 3.6 litre.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

You'd have more luck finding an M635csi donor car, I've seen shittastic ones around here for like $2,500, but personally the 635 is way more bad ass than an E34 so then I'd switch the project over to buldup the 635. But why can you just bore the 535 motor that mm to get to 3.6L? I'm sure your tired 20 year old motor would thank you.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I need to do more research... if it's the same block casting, that obviously won't be a problem. If it's a different casting, it might be.
S8n

Post by S8n »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I need to do more research... if it's the same block casting, that obviously won't be a problem. If it's a different casting, it might be.
The blocks are different between the 635 CSI and M6. One is a M30 and the other an S30 block. The M6 is going to be alot harder to find and more $$$$.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
CincinnatiFiero

Aren't the M6, M635csi and 635csi three different cars? I've seen all 3 badges, but then again I've seen an M318i sedan haha. Damn you ebay and your $12.99 M-Badging kits.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

S8n wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:I need to do more research... if it's the same block casting, that obviously won't be a problem. If it's a different casting, it might be.
The blocks are different between the 635 CSI and M6. One is a M30 and the other an S30 block. The M6 is going to be alot harder to find and more $$$$.
But is the block casting the same between the 635CSi (93.4 mm bore) and the 535i (92 mm bore)? That's the curious thing.
Last edited by The Dark Side of Will on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

S8n wrote:You know you want to. Just do it. On a side note, you se the specs on the new BMW X6 M? 555 hp, 21 lbs of boost into a V8. Crazy shit.
Hehe... yeah, that sounds nice.

GM's response to expected high fuel prices and market direction: Stop development work on direct injected V8 with output well over 400 HP.

BMW's response to the same market conditions: Develop *turbocharged* direct injected V8's with output over 500 HP. LOTS of them! NOW!

BMW's doing great, GM is about to go under... anybody care to guess why?

OBTW... wow, welcome to the world of BMW... I can spend $1500 on a SPEC clutch and flywheel combo. The folks at BimmerForums say that's the current hot ticket for turbo M30's.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The folks at BMW have some very hot powerplants out right now. The 335i's twin turbo inline 6 has the best power curve I've ever felt in a car. It was glorious. I didn't even know it was turbocharged after a month of driving it! But a friend mentioned it was TT, and I was shocked. If you listen, you can hear them, but aside from that, it's got power from idle to 7k. The 6-speed manual was a lot of fun too, I just wish it didn't have that shitty open diff. Then they've got the 4.0 and 5.0 motors, and at over 100hp/l and over 8000rpm, they are wicked. Doesn't leave much to the aftermarket though.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

Ignorance is bliss, google Vishnu and Active Autowerks. Vishnu ran 11.9 in a 335i on slicks. 430hp. Chip, and exhaust.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

There's a nitroused new M5 deep in the 10's also. 1.5x sixties on slicks.

BMW as a company is very well managed. They know their market and they know what they're good at. In an area where house prices have dropped PRECIPITOUSLY (I offered 201 on a house that sold for 530 in '05), the BMW dealership is full of shiny new machines and lots of people still buying them.

I was observing that this ain't an old Pontiac. A flywheel + stage 3 clutch for a Fiero costs half of what it does for an M30.
Last edited by The Dark Side of Will on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CincinnatiFiero

BMW sells quality, fuel efficient for the most part, nice looking, good performing cars. I've watched Mercedes Benz quality fall of, felt the doors get lighter, designs get very japanese etc, and BMW is still making a great drivers car. While the Bangleization may have not been the best looking form of progress BMW is making a lot of progress in terms of cars. The Hydrogen7 for example, all I can say is wow. They did it, and actually I am pretty sure it was on the road BEFORE the Clarity. Also their clean diesels, getting 50mpg in some cases, using things like regenerative braking in a diesel application. They kicked the pants off the prius with a 520d in the Berlin - London run, the list goes on. But yes, when you buy a BMW you have the accept that added tax of owning an expensive car. The cars may not be THAT expensive used, but the parts remanufacturers have not forgotten. However BMW seems to be cheaper than Mercedes and others. Back in my E36 days an S52 (M3) waterpump could be found for under a $100. The waterpump for a vortec Suburban was more than that. So its give and take I guess. I'd love to have a new 335d, rated at 36mpg highway and more torque than an M5.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:$325? Buy it, cheap. Not sure if the turbo is any good but you can use that manifold.
S8n wrote:You know you want to.
Eh... I've decided not to. It would be close to $400 with shipping, and I'd scrap everything but the manifold. Buying that would also leave with without some of the factory pieces like the divorced (!) wastegate and downpipe, which would make the upgrade much easier. After looking around a bit, I've found people willing to sell the complete setup for $1000-$1400, which sounds like it's well worth the money vs. starting from just a manifold and scratch fabbing a setup of my own.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm scratching my turbo 525 idea too. I just don't want to compromise the reliability, and the civility that I like so much.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
S8n

Post by S8n »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
S8n wrote:
But is the block casting the same between the 635CSi (93.4 mm bore) and the 535i (92 mm bore)? That's the curious thing.
Yep. The E34 got the bigger one in 1988. BMW almost always tries new engine stuff in lower production units. The new TT DI V8 was tested in the X6 before the new & series was launched. I'm thinking that it's just easier to do a recall on a smaller number of vehicles if a problem is found.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ok, so I could bore the block 1.4 mm for stock or 1.9 or whatever for oversized and it has enough meat? Cool.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I took the car for my first real drive today. It's quiet. That's a first for a car I've owned.

The 3.5 litre is pretty quick. 220 HP and similar torque with a stick moves the car pretty well. I have a Z3 shifter in it now and the throws are just about perfect. The steering is light and precise, but could be quicker. What cars would have a quicker steering box than this one? Just the M5?

The transmission R&R was straightforward. I replaced the F@#$ing inverted torx headed 8mm bolts on the bellhousing with hex headed bolts.

Redoing the exhaust was not straightforward. I bought a new center silencer built by Ansa. It's good, but not as perfect as the factory unit. The center distance between the two inlets is not quite right, for instance. I had my old muffler welded to it outside the car. I told the shop to be as precise as they could be, and they were, but they weren't quite precise enough as the position of the muffler is off a fraction of an inch and needs to be massaged. There was a flange on the factory catalyst that was loose but could not be removed without being cut. I bought two new flanges and machined them to make a two piece flange to replace the factory one, then cut the old one off.

The exhaust can NOT be installed in two pieces. It *must* be assembled into one unit and then installed into the car.

The "feel" of the car in a corner is very ineresting. Test driving videos and photos of front engine cars "at the limit" in magazine frequently show a "nose down" cornering attitude. This is the result of the car's centroid axis being high in front, while the roll axis is approximately level. The Fiero is the opposite and develops a "tail down" cornering attitude. The BMW just rolls evenly front and back. It feels so right. It is the ultimate driving machine. I'm willing to say that having only driven one for 20 minutes.

After driving a 2.8, the 3.5 feels extremely smooth. It pulls to 6000 RPM easily, but falls off a little bit above that. It's in a pretty low state of tune. It will pull 1300 RPM in 5th gear. I was utterly amazed to find that it has THROTTLE BY WIRE. I had to double check the build date. It is indeed a '92. That's 10 years ahead of GM.

I replaced the O2 sensor. Carquest wanted $120 for the BMW sensor. The sensor for a '95 Caprice was EXACTLY the same unit, but with a shorter pigtail and a Delphi electrical connector on it. It was $60. I bought it, snagged the mating connector from the junk yard and turned the old stock sensor's 3 ft pigtail into an extension cord.

I like it. I'm glad I bought the car, even though it's sat around for the last 5 months.

It's got some failing clear coat on the roof and trunk lid. I think it's still good enough that I can have it buffed down and re-cleared. There's the usual rust at the lower corner of the driver's door. The other three door panels have some upholstery issues. The door rub strips on the left side need to be redone. That's all that's wrong with it...

That and the fact that it's still got 15" wheels.

I'm a happy owner.
At least until something expensive goes wrong with it.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: The 3.5 litre is pretty quick. 220 HP and similar torque with a stick moves the car pretty well. I have a Z3 shifter in it now and the throws are just about perfect. The steering is light and precise, but could be quicker. What cars would have a quicker steering box than this one? Just the M5?
I'm tempted to start looking, the 2.5 auto is getting old FAST. My steering is also light, tight, and precise. I was really impressed with this (After 216k too!). Did you notice the steering radius? It's extremely tight for suck a large car.
The "feel" of the car in a corner is very ineresting. Test driving videos and photos of front engine cars "at the limit" in magazine frequently show a "nose down" cornering attitude. This is the result of the car's centroid axis being high in front, while the roll axis is approximately level. The Fiero is the opposite and develops a "tail down" cornering attitude. The BMW just rolls evenly front and back. It feels so right. It is the ultimate driving machine. I'm willing to say that having only driven one for 20 minutes.
I never commented on this because I don't know enough about why, and people would argue, but mine also corners really well. Like you said, it just feels right. I understand this completely.
After driving a 2.8, the 3.5 feels extremely smooth. It pulls to 6000 RPM easily, but falls off a little bit above that. It's in a pretty low state of tune. It will pull 1300 RPM in 5th gear. I was utterly amazed to find that it has THROTTLE BY WIRE. I had to double check the build date. It is indeed a '92. That's 10 years ahead of GM.
Wanna trade? Mine pulls "strong" to 6k as well (Where it shifts out). Mine has really poor highway gearing, I sit at 3,000 on the highway, doing 80 indicated. Mine doesn't have throttle by wire, unfortunately.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: The "feel" of the car in a corner is very ineresting. Test driving videos and photos of front engine cars "at the limit" in magazine frequently show a "nose down" cornering attitude. This is the result of the car's centroid axis being high in front, while the roll axis is approximately level. The Fiero is the opposite and develops a "tail down" cornering attitude. The BMW just rolls evenly front and back. It feels so right. It is the ultimate driving machine. I'm willing to say that having only driven one for 20 minutes.
This is why I sold my fiero. I liked the swap, I liked the brakes but there is no way to give a fiero the confidence inspiring cornering ability of newer cars. After racing my GTR and then racing the fiero you understand that the fiero has shitty suspension. Not sure about an 88 but my 86 was terrible, as compared to my GTR.

This picture speaks 1000 words. Look at the geometry even at full travel.

Never driven a newer BMW but they have always been good. They are a drivers car, they had to earn that reputation.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:I'm tempted to start looking, the 2.5 auto is getting old FAST. My steering is also light, tight, and precise. I was really impressed with this (After 216k too!). Did you notice the steering radius? It's extremely tight for suck a large car.
From what I understand, the autoboxes don't do a good job of getting power to the ground. I found a website that described a swap of an 850 six speed manual trans into a 750. Replacing the auto with a stick liberated something like 30 rwhp from the V12. Find yourself a 525 stick and you'll probably have a lot more fun. Doing the manual swap is probably a LOT of work, considering how wired these cars are.

One thing about the auto is that it probably makes the cruise work better. Does your car downshift automatically on steep downhill grades? My car's speed can creep up on steel downhills. Once the throttle is closed, there's nothing more the ECM can do to control speed, if the car has a stick.

I'd say the turning circle is on par for a RWD car of this size. It just seems tight because you're used to Fieros and GM FWD cars. My Dad flipped an LT1 Caprice that REALLY had a tight turning circle. That boat could just about do a U-turn on a two lane road. AMC Eagles have really tight turning radii also, and they have drive axles in the front suspension. I don't know what GM's problem is with getting their FWD cars to turn tightly. Fieros just suck. We already know this.

Have you gotten the car up in the air and looked at the suspension links? The way they're profiled and contoured for tire clearance at full lock is just so... German.