Hugh Lemma's V8 build.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

BigRedDeckSpoiler

Post by BigRedDeckSpoiler »

Awesome! :thumbleft:
I wondered how far along he had gotten. Haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks. Great people!
I was honored, as well, that they chose to stop and visit here.
Hugh reminds me of my dad. Not so much physically, but his attitude about stuff. Dad was also just a little more laid back, where Hugh is a bundle of energy.

To keep it on topic... His car is going to be a fire breathing beast.
BRDS
Chase Race

Post by Chase Race »

stimpy wrote:Well, Hugh came through town yesterday on his US tour. He and his wife took us out to dinner yesterday.
Cool! Too bad he couldn't take his toy on tour with him.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
ConvictedRedneck

Post by ConvictedRedneck »

The car is going to Jon's brother this weekend to begin being prepped/painted. Hopefully I can snap a few pics when I get out there for your viewing enjoyment!
'87 GT 5-spd Getrag
Indy

Post by Indy »

The proof that he did it right is in the numbers:
Hugh's car made 405hp/632ft-lbs.

Archee is hilarious though...
V8Archie wrote: Not really, I didn't build Hugh's car but what I've seen of the build, it looks great. I only supplied a few parts for the car.
From Hugh's website:
I started this project with a master build kit from V8 V8Archie. Much of what came with the kit was not used for various reasons. Almost every part of the kit that I did use was modified in some way.
:scratch:
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What's Hugh's website? Where'd you get those numbers?

Power seems kinda low, but that's the sort of torque I'd expect.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Got the numbers from the thread on Piffer:
http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/082362.html

And his website is
http://fieroaddiction.com/SBCTa.html
I think it's on the first page too.

Cliffs:
Apparently he made a mistake on his first post, it's supposed to be 405RWHP/550 RWTQ. He also said that it blew a head gasket on the dyno.

So, still mad torkzorz, but a little bit lower than what I'd expect from a forced induction 383 with AFR heads. I bet with some test/tune it'll make much better numbers.

And think, X made 468HP/489TQ with a 3800.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Decent numbers but hard to really say. I mean is it said how much boost he was running?

It took MotorTv's 383 LT1 12 lbs of boost to hit 400 whp. If hugh did that on like 5 lbs then good job. If it took 18 lbs then not so good job.

Also I think there were tuning issues and or some sort of mechanical fault with the motor since it blew a head gasket. it shouldnt' have done that of cuorse. i am thinking its a tuning problem which is why the numbers are overall low. PBJ blew several headgaskets on his nstar because his tuning was very subpar on only 4 psi of boost.

Even so 400 whp makes for a quick fiero. Get new headgaskets on there and head back for better numbers.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Indy wrote:Got the numbers from the thread on Piffer:
http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/082362.html

And his website is
http://fieroaddiction.com/SBCTa.html
I think it's on the first page too.
I hadn't seen that thread. FieroAddiction is Jon Lagler's website; AFAIK, he did the work and Hugh wrote the check.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I would expect a built but not too heavily cammed 383 to put down 400 whp all motor. I would expect 500-550 on 5 psi from such an engine, assuming decent turbo matching and depending on intercooling. Of course the bigger the cam, the more he can go. 600 all motor is not out of the question from a race-built 383.
BigRedDeckSpoiler

Post by BigRedDeckSpoiler »

Well there is good news and bad news.First the bad,My engine had a head gasket let go and that stopped any more running.The good:the car on the baseline pull put 405 horses and 550 ft/lbs to the wheels and the transmission was just fine.The drivetrain has to come out of the car for the head gaskets change,at that time it will get the headers jet-hot coated and be tuned on an engine dyno with the 83lb injectors we have instead of the 66 lb that were in it. The transmission should probably be checked at that time to be sure it didn't sustain any damage from all that torque.
Edited to correct torque numbers.They didn't sound right to me so I called the dyno operator and he set me straight.
Appears that he was running lean. He's going from 66 to 83# injectors.
I also applaud the idea of tuning it on an engine dyno.
While it's probably overkill for most folks, it definitely sounds like the better idea in this case. IMHO, of course.
BRDS
yellowracer85

Post by yellowracer85 »

with his turbo setup he would have been better with a 327 or 350(383 is just a tractor truck motor), but the hp and tq numbers are cool and the motor and plumbing is pretty.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I wonder how many seconds that transmission is going to last?

(and the tires......)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The SBC has been figured out a long time ago. You can easily make 500hp on pump gas NA, why are these guys even bothering to put forced induction on large displacement V-8s?

I would build a smaller sbc if I was going turbocharged, something rev happy like a 302. Not like it would be lacking torque off boost....
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Agreed.

Still cool though and it looks it was done right.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

83 PPH injectors are good for a hell of a lot of HP. 42's will support 500 or more.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

crzyone wrote:The SBC has been figured out a long time ago. You can easily make 500hp on pump gas NA, why are these guys even bothering to put forced induction on large displacement V-8s?

I would build a smaller sbc if I was going turbocharged, something rev happy like a 302. Not like it would be lacking torque off boost....
Especially considering Fiero transmissions' propensities for scattering internals across the highway.

Can't wait to see what Hugh's puts down when its all tuned.
<Insert Sig Here>
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Did you read the page?
It's a built 4T65.

Which, BTW, was never offered in a Fiero.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

I did. I was agreeing with crzyone and yellowracer85's general statements that putting high torque V8s against FWD trannies is a bad idea in general. Sorry, it wasn't clear in the context of what I quoted.
<Insert Sig Here>
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The 4T65's can be built for a lot of grunt. That's the transmission that was used with the Ecotecs in the racing effort. Automatics are also easier to build for power than manuals.
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

Then what transmission is used with the Monte Carlo V8 SS? Or is it A a Lumina? I know for sure that there is a GM FWD V8 on the market
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe