88 Headlihgt motor broken

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

txf

Post by txf »

I'm not the only one either. There's several from my understanding.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

p8ntman442 wrote:
p8ntman442 wrote:
Kohburn wrote:hotglue gun stick? where did you learn that one? MTAkimoto ?

hell why not a peice of wooden dowel soaked in jb weld? think a stack of dimes would fit in those holes? :la:

don't cheap out on something sooooo cheap
long story short, I have purchased three of rodneys repair kits, all worked perfect, but i was in a pinch and the glue gun sticks worked as it was all I had handy while the third kit was on order. The glue sticks havent failed so I havent put the new parts(third kit) in yet.

I wouldnt sell a set of motors without his repair kit in them thats why I needed to replace mine in a hurry. Ask topcat how his motors are, they had rodneys in them when he bought them from me.
yeah an emergency repair thats going to get redone later is fine - but not for a permanent solution
Doug Chase

Re: 88 Headlihgt motor broken

Post by Doug Chase »

Aaron wrote:Well for the first time my headlight motor went, it is the passenger side on my 88GT.
Wow, what a coincidence. The passenger side headlight motor on my Formula just went out a week ago. I had repaired the driver's side motors on both cars, so your driver's side motor should last a while.

Anyway, follow Shawn's instructions. It's really that simple. It took me 37 minutes without rushing to rebuild the passenger side headlight motor on my Formula. This is from opening the hood to closing the hood. Yes, I timed it. Yes, I know I'm a geek.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: 88 Headlihgt motor broken

Post by Aaron »

Doug Chase wrote:
Aaron wrote:Well for the first time my headlight motor went, it is the passenger side on my 88GT.
Wow, what a coincidence. The passenger side headlight motor on my Formula just went out a week ago. I had repaired the driver's side motors on both cars, so your driver's side motor should last a while.

Anyway, follow Shawn's instructions. It's really that simple. It took me 37 minutes without rushing to rebuild the passenger side headlight motor on my Formula. This is from opening the hood to closing the hood. Yes, I timed it. Yes, I know I'm a geek.
Yah I was kina expecting it, as it started to slow down and only go halfway up. It's no big deal, and I'm going to fix it when I get back from California in a few weeks.

I'm glad its easy, I remember you telling me that. I'll expect about an hour, no big deal. As for the geek part, let me see if I can argue. Nope, not really :thumbleft:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ok I ordered the headlight rebuild kit today from Rodney.

I followed my Fiero blood into being a cheapass, and I saved $ .75 by buying the pair instead of just one. That way next time a motor goes, I will have saved time, shipping, and $.75. And I can use the 7 and a half dimes to fix my car the right way, or so MTA told me.

I look forward to getting it completed, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the help! (btw, this should be stickied, or a quick thread saying where to buy them, how much it'll cost, and instructions on how to do it should be stuck up top) :salute:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well I got the kit in today, ordered Thrusday, shipped Friday, arrived on Tuesday. Not bad.

I took the car down to the garage, and went to town. 45min for the first timer is a bit optimistic, I closed the hood at 1 hour and 39 minutes. By the way, I wish he would have told me I had to remove the whole headlight assembly. I thought that only the incapable MTA's of the world did that. So here I was, trying to dissassemble that motor in the car, trying to pull that shaft out, HAHAHA. Didn't work. So I finally figured it out, and the rest of the repair went uneventful. The insides were pretty trashed, and it smelled like total ASS!!! But the new pieces worked great, and know I have 2 headlights that will go up when I want them to!

Now if only it'd tell me when to put them down, but Doug should be working on that :salute:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
BigRedDeckSpoiler

Post by BigRedDeckSpoiler »

Yeah. Rodney's kit is well worth the $5.

Before I bought the first one, I had to do a ghetto repair on one of my motors in order to get it working quickly. I cut 1/2" lengths of 1/2" fuel line and poked them in the holes in the gears. Very unglamorous, but it worked well for over a year.
BRDS
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

hahah good thinking, but everyone knows dimes would work better :bootyshake: