2005 California Coast Run Thread, a la Steve Kelley

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

2005 California Coast Run Thread, a la Steve Kelley

Post by stimpy »

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Rick's 88 Shortstar. This is the car that should have all the nutswingers!
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

Cool pictures. Do you have high res (1280x1024) that I could use for a desktop of the 4th and 5th ones?

Also, you need pictures of every tiny little thing that you changed to be like Steve. Such as "Look at this screw that we changed!" or "We put a ziptie on this wire, here are pictures from every possible angle. Enjoy!"
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

stimpy wrote:Rick's 88 Shortstar. This is the car that should have all the nutswingers!
What did you mean by that comment? Are we all for or against Rick and his DOHC 3.5?

Nice pics, I really wish I could have been there, looks like a really pretty and enjoyable drive.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

aaron wrote:
stimpy wrote:Rick's 88 Shortstar. This is the car that should have all the nutswingers!
What did you mean by that comment? Are we all for or against Rick and his DOHC 3.5?
Are you asking me to tell you what to think?

I'm very hot for Rick's car. Piece of engineering brilliance. For those that aren't familiar with it, it has ALL of the electronics from the donor Olds Intrigue and f-body power steering rack. And Rick did it all himself, and no one makes 20 page threads about it. It deserves it a lot more then something that just has a chopped roof or chrome valve covers.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I agree. I have always liked Rick's car. Engineering masterpiece. I wish I could see it up close to see all the minor things he has done to it.

I especially liked him fabricating up the valve covers so the oil fill is on the trunk side. Just little things like that separate his car from all the others.

Good paint job, nice powerplant, decently quick. Just an overall well done and good looking car.

If you talk to him tell him I said so. Not that it would mean much to him anyways I am sure but thats ok.

So no terdster huh and noone else talked smack to your face? Gee no surprise there.
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

stimpy wrote:
aaron wrote:
Are you asking me to tell you what to think?

I'm very hot for Rick's car. peice of engineering brilliance. For those that aren't familiar with it, it has ALL of the electronics from the donor Olds Intrigue and f-body power steering rack. And Rick did it all himself, and no one makes 20 page threads about it. It deserves it a lot more then something that just has a chopped roof or chrome valve covers.
Are those 3.5 dohc engines just a slightly larger 3.4? I have heard of the engine before, but I havent ever seen any info on it.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

derangedsheep wrote:Cool pictures. Do you have high res (1280x1024) that I could use for a desktop of the 4th and 5th ones?

Also, you need pictures of every tiny little thing that you changed to be like Steve. Such as "Look at this screw that we changed!" or "We put a ziptie on this wire, here are pictures from every possible angle. Enjoy!"
I have bigger files of those. PM me your email address.

How about I post a bunch of pictures of my kid...
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Some scenery...
Keep it on the road, it's a long way down.
dgzfiero
Live from Ard's Cricket Ranch

Post by dgzfiero »

That's a nice looking car Rick has. I seen some videos of it before on Old Europe.
I like that pic of your car with the yellow GT going by.
BigRedDeckSpoiler

Post by BigRedDeckSpoiler »

Good pics!
Wish I could have been there. Maybe one day I'll make it out there.
I was in Oregon a few years ago, and got to do some driving on the Coast Highway.
Unfortunately I was in a Dodge Intrepid Rent-a-Sled.
Kept on thinking "If only..."

Cute kid, BTW.
We've got two, very similar. Only larger and with (relatively) less hair.
BRDS
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Was "fastback 86" at the coast run?

If so he say anything to you?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

stimpy wrote:I'm very hot for Rick's car. peice of engineering brilliance. For those that aren't familiar with it, it has ALL of the electronics from the donor Olds Intrigue and f-body power steering rack. And Rick did it all himself, and no one makes 20 page threads about it. It deserves it a lot more then something that just has a chopped roof or chrome valve covers.
I just didn't know what you meant by it, that is all :thumbleft:

Personally I think the 3.5 is a very elegant swap. Wouldn't be my first choice from a performance stand point, but you will never see a 3.4 DOHC get the gas mileage, power delivery, and comfort/smoothness of the 3.5. It is not related to the 3.4, it is coined the ShortStar, and if I am correct it is to the N* as a 4.3 is to the 350 (Same basic design with the last 2 slugs cut off).
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I agree. I have always liked Rick's car. Engineering masterpiece. I wish I could see it up close to see all the minor things he has done to it.

I especially liked him fabricating up the valve covers so the oil fill is on the trunk side. Just little things like that separate his car from all the others.

Good paint job, nice powerplant, decently quick. Just an overall well done and good looking car.

If you talk to him tell him I said so. Not that it would mean much to him anyways I am sure but thats ok.
You should have seen how it started off! It was painted with housepaint as an Iranian flag when Rick rescued it. And as long and complicted as the build was, he could have done 2 in the time MTA has been working on his"King of the Road" :rofl:

Rick is a very nice guy. I count visiting with him and his wife as one of the high points of any run. I'm sure he would appreciate your comments. And believe me, pictures do no justice when you start looking under the hood in real life. It really does look like the General put it there.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Was "fastback 86" at the coast run?

If so he say anything to you?
Um, lots of people talked to me. Can't say anything noteworthy was said that I felt I needed to convey to anyone else. Just had fun. I'm relieved about that. I really didn't want to be the source of drama.

I don't know why anyone would.

PS, check out my pimp suede interior.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

wha???

more pics of the interior!
stimpy wrote:
PS, check out my pimp suede interior.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

That interior is so pimp! Looks great in person. :thumbleft:
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

eHoward wrote:wha???

more pics of the interior!
Give me a couple days to get everything put back together. I started the project the last week in October and was in Vegas the first week of November, I barely got it put back together in time. Here's a taste.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

make an interior build thread in Tech when you're ready.

:thumbleft:
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Makes me sad I couldn't have been there. Steven was trying to get me to go in my auto/duke commuter except 1.) I didn't wish to be repeatedly humiliated by being left behind by the 3800/3.4DOHC/Shortstar/Anything with a stick crowd, and 2.) Wheel bearings didn't get here in time to align it. I'll be there next time!