Bought SpeedHut gauges for my 88GT *GOT THEM*

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Bought SpeedHut gauges for my 88GT *GOT THEM*

Post by Aaron »

So I broke down today and spent the $117 for SpeedHut gauges.

They include a 160mph speedo, 8,000rpm tach, black with red writing and red reverse illumination. There is the Fiero logo on the speedo as well.

This is the perfect option for those of who who don't want to deal with the price and complexity of Autometer, and want to read higher RPM and MPH. This is especially good for those of us with DOHC swaps, or TPI's that made 450hp at 9800rpm...

I will put up some pics in a couple weeks, and of the install process. I hope to God SH doesn't fuck up and send me like stock gauges, but we will see...

I really like my interior now. When I first got the car, I almost considered a dash swap before the engine swap. BUt with the MP3 player, dash overlays, short shifter (Soon), and these gauges, I really think I will be leaving it alone for a while, as I really like it how it is.
Last edited by Aaron on Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Have a link to where I can see these guages? Sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:Have a link to where I can see these guages? Sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Not mine exactly, but here is a link to the SpeedHut page.

http://www.speedhut.com/el_detail.asp?c ... 251&bhcp=1

In order to get the 160 speedo, you need to have KpH gauges printed, but tell them to print the letters MPH, not KpH. You also need to inform them you want the tach extended to 7-8k, on the stock scale. Do this in an email, and make sure they understand...

Personally. if I were you I'd wait until Aaron has his to make sure they are capable of doing something custom like this (The guy told me they were, but I have my doubts...)
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

talking about yourself in the 3rd person?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Kohburn wrote:talking about yourself in the 3rd person?
Yah, because it would be confusing if I said "if I were you I'd wait until I have them in."
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
jstillwell

Post by jstillwell »

Kohburn wrote:talking about yourself in the 3rd person?
Now that's funny.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

aaron wrote: In order to get the 160 speedo, you need to have KpH gauges printed, but tell them to print the letters MPH, not KpH. You also need to inform them you want the tach extended to 7-8k, on the stock scale. Do this in an email, and make sure they understand...
They way you have said that... your speedo is gonna be way out. Or does speed hut include a recalibration unit with their speedo?
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

donk_316 wrote:
aaron wrote: In order to get the 160 speedo, you need to have KpH gauges printed, but tell them to print the letters MPH, not KpH. You also need to inform them you want the tach extended to 7-8k, on the stock scale. Do this in an email, and make sure they understand...
They way you have said that... your speedo is gonna be way out. Or does speed hut include a recalibration unit with their speedo?
No, the speedo will be off. Luckily, according to Steven, they aren't hard to recalibrate. You can do it either by the ECU or the board...
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

have to solder a new crystal into the board - the fieros speedo signal comes straight from the tranny to the board - then goes to the ecm
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Steven was saying there is a way to go to ECU, then use the ECU to tell the gauge what to read.

But he wasn't sure if I could adapt it to a 94-95 SFI ECU.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

I have already done a few times recrysatalling and refacing my 85mph speedos to 150mph - wonder if i can get speed hut to make one of my designs

like:

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I think the tach starts to get pretty inaccurate as you bring the air core around to almost 360 deg, based on my readings about the control circuits. Sure would be cool to have that face though!

Anyway, the 3.4 DOHC ECM sends out a buffered speedometer signal.. so all you have to do is change the pulse per mile setting to make the ECM think you're going slower, so the gauge doesnt move as much. Should be able to figure out the math so you dont need trial and error to do it, its just a simple matter of rescaling it. If its currently 4000PPM and you double the MPH range for example, just change it to 8000PPM.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Series8217 wrote:I think the tach starts to get pretty inaccurate as you bring the air core around to almost 360 deg, based on my readings about the control circuits. Sure would be cool to have that face though!

Anyway, the 3.4 DOHC ECM sends out a buffered speedometer signal.. so all you have to do is change the pulse per mile setting to make the ECM think you're going slower, so the gauge doesnt move as much. Should be able to figure out the math so you dont need trial and error to do it, its just a simple matter of rescaling it. If its currently 4000PPM and you double the MPH range for example, just change it to 8000PPM.
Yah I'm pretty sure the tach will start getting innaccurate, but at least we'll know about where we are instead of, well, I know it's past 6500...On a motor that runs to 8k this isn't a good thing. And I was fucking around with my car at the Jiffy Lube one day getting the emissions test done (It actually passed, like really, passed wihout "help"), and I was free revving it, and put it to about 5000rpm, and the tach was dead on 5, and the computer was showing, by golly like 4950-5050. So the tach in my car is actually really accurate so far up to 5...

That makes sense. So 120-160 is a 33.3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333% increase, so if it was 3000PPM (Whatever the fuck a PPM is), then just use 4000PPM for the new tach. Sounds simple enough...
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Well looks like you ordered. I'll let you be the guinea pig to see how they turn out. I've always wanted some blue reverse glow speedhut gauges but my bitch was that the tach and speedo didn't go high enough for the DOHC. My smog guy once remarked out of nowhere that my stocker tach was dead on the money when he was doing the pull on the smog dyno, so at least in the normal RPM range it's fine. I'll check it against an accurate tach when I get everything all done.

The speedo should be easy - Steven and I are going to screw around with the tables in the 9396 ECM to try to get the speedo calibrated correctly. The adaptor circuit that that makes the ECM speedo out compatable with the Fiero tach is literall just a couple of components, so it should all be really easy.

Anyways, when they show up, post up some pics or we'll have to beat you with a stick. :la:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Blue Shift wrote:Well looks like you ordered. I'll let you be the guinea pig to see how they turn out. I've always wanted some blue reverse glow speedhut gauges but my bitch was that the tach and speedo didn't go high enough for the DOHC. My smog guy once remarked out of nowhere that my stocker tach was dead on the money when he was doing the pull on the smog dyno, so at least in the normal RPM range it's fine. I'll check it against an accurate tach when I get everything all done.

The speedo should be easy - Steven and I are going to screw around with the tables in the 9396 ECM to try to get the speedo calibrated correctly. The adaptor circuit that that makes the ECM speedo out compatable with the Fiero tach is literall just a couple of components, so it should all be really easy.

Anyways, when they show up, post up some pics or we'll have to beat you with a stick. :la:
Exactly my thoughts. So that is two Fiero sticks that have tachs dead on the money...

I will post pics and of the install of course, you should know by now I post A LOT of pics of all my projects.

I got an email the other day from Speedhut after all my custom questions, it pretty much said thanks for the order, we will start tooling tomorrow, and they should be shipped within the next week or two. Please let me know when you get it and if it meets you and your club's standards. Thanks again for your order, and I hope you are satisfied with it.

So yah, I made up a little bit of crap (Me being the president for the DOHC Fiero club....hehe. Acted like money wasn't the issue, and he sounds like they will get them right. We shall see...
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

i did notice that on my current stock v6 gauge the needle won't go past 6000 even as the rpm climbs

not sure whats up with that
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Kohburn wrote:i did notice that on my current stock v6 gauge the needle won't go past 6000 even as the rpm climbs

I beg to differ, my 2.8l saw a roughly indicated 7000-7500 on a missed shift. More red lights went off that day! I swear, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree letting me know I was a fucking idiot. The light on the charge gauge lit up, the OP gauge warning light sent off, SES went off, etc. There were like 4-5 red lights blinking at me. I had watched the tach needle swing right past where the numbers weren't printed. Maybe it is just your's?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
allWorkNoPlay

Post by allWorkNoPlay »

I think those white "indiglo" gauges look like ass.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

aaron wrote:
Kohburn wrote:i did notice that on my current stock v6 gauge the needle won't go past 6000 even as the rpm climbs

I beg to differ, my 2.8l saw a roughly indicated 7000-7500 on a missed shift. More red lights went off that day! I swear, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree letting me know I was a fucking idiot. The light on the charge gauge lit up, the OP gauge warning light sent off, SES went off, etc. There were like 4-5 red lights blinking at me. I had watched the tach needle swing right past where the numbers weren't printed. Maybe it is just your's?
differ all you fucking want you asshat - I watch my gauge and posted an observation about MY GAUGE

damn - learn to STFU sometimes
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

allWorkNoPlay wrote:I think those white "indiglo" gauges look like ass.
i hate white face gauges - good thing you can get black face reverse indiglos from speedhut

I want to contact them and see if they can combine colors like white and red illumination