Would it be "Accepted" if I used a g-meter for a s

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

donk_316
Booooooost

Would it be "Accepted" if I used a g-meter for a s

Post by donk_316 »

If i did a 100ft skidpad g test would you guys accept that as "good enough" or would I need to pull a Cali and make it up but say it was on a "GM test track"

If I use an Apexi RSM or the like im sure that would be cool. I could video it also.

I just want to see if Cali's 1.17g is even doable. or better yet, beatable.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Ass-O-Meter is good enough for me.

Pulled a 1.78G corner in the Intrepid the other day, on snow.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

crzyone wrote:Ass-O-Meter is good enough for me.

Pulled a 1.78G corner in the Intrepid the other day, on snow.
Sweet! In that case my 2005 3/4 ton pulled 2.55g on a gravel lease road!
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

A 1.17g is not possible by a Fiero. Period. Stock, modified, tube chassis, roll bar, whatever. Not possible. In fact, a 1.17g is not possible by any production car. I shouldn't say not possible, but not by a factory stock car. Not a Vette, not a Porsche, not a fucking Lotus. I would venture to say there are some cars that could do it, but these are the 600lb race cars built solely for the purpose of racing. ie the custom built race cars with laser welded tube chassis out of magnesium. I would like to see a Formula 1 car's g-rating though, I'd say it is up around 1.1-1.3.

VERY VERY few cars can even break a 1.00. The actual testing procedure is done around a 200ft circle. The car takes a number of laps, and is timed and from there they use mathematics to figure out its G-rating with respect to the individual lap time.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Good enough for who?

if you're going to use it to tune your car, great. If it's going to start a bunch of masturbation over who can pull the most G, why?
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

How much would you like to wager?
aaron wrote:A 1.17g is not possible by a Fiero. Period. Stock, modified, tube chassis, roll bar, whatever.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Yeah basically i wanna do what Cali does.

My Indy

345hp

1.25g

12.1 at 120mph

Blah blah blah...i mean...if he can get a cult with bullshit numbers i could start my own religion with proven numbers.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

aaron wrote: I would like to see a Formula 1 car's g-rating though, I'd say it is up around 1.1-1.3.
Try around 3.5-4Gs aaron.

Its called downforce, read up on it.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

eHoward wrote:How much would you like to wager?
aaron wrote:A 1.17g is not possible by a Fiero. Period. Stock, modified, tube chassis, roll bar, whatever.
Enough. Using the standard testing procedures, I do not think it is possible on a Fiero frame with a Fiero body. I contradict myself here, by tube chassis I meant modified frame. Of course a purpose-built tube chassis race car with a Fiero body might be able to do it, but not with anything even remotely resembling a Fiero's structure.
crzyone wrote:
aaron wrote: I would like to see a Formula 1 car's g-rating though, I'd say it is up around 1.1-1.3.
Try around 3.5-4Gs aaron.

Its called downforce, read up on it.
Not with the standard of testing that all car manufacturer's and testers use. Maybe at the high speed turns they take, but not around a 200ft circle. They simply won't go fast enough to create enough downforce to get that high of readings. Maybe around a long turn at 200+ MPH I wouldn't doubt that
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

aaron wrote:
Not with the standard of testing that all car manufacturer's and testers use. Maybe at the high speed turns they take, but not around a 200ft circle. They simply won't go fast enough to create enough downforce to get that high of readings. Maybe around a long turn at 200+ MPH I wouldn't doubt that
That just may be the most retarded thing I've heard you say.

Please admit you are wrong and that you learned something.

The front and rear wings on F1 cars are setup for what they want to run. With a slow track they add larger wings to improve downforce.

Around a 200ft skidpad they will pull much higher than 1G aaron.. Stop being a know-it-all.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote: Around a 200ft skidpad they will pull much higher than 1G aaron.. Stop being a know-it-all.
I don't know what they'd pull, I'd expect it to be around 1.3g, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it as high as 2. But a 200 diameter curcle, there is no way that car ill get to speeds high enough to where they can reach G's any higher, or significant amoutns of downforce. The speed simply isn't high enough. That is one of the reasons for such a small circle, is so that in the testing procedure the amount of downforce created isn't a large influence and it comes downt o suspenion and tires.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

g meter measures peak. You would need to get something that likes gievs an average or something. Basically like the same equipment the mags use.

I used a g tech to test my 95k mile suspension 85Gt and I hit .95. It was a peak number. Turn the wheel sharp and for that split second before you lose traction you hit a high number. I guess I should say I did that though on stock tires with just a rear bar?

If its going to be something that measures like the mags then go for it. If not why waste the money.
whipped

Re: Would it be "Accepted" if I used a g-meter for

Post by whipped »

donk_316 wrote:If i did a 100ft skidpad g test would you guys accept that as "good enough" or would I need to pull a Cali and make it up but say it was on a "GM test track"

If I use an Apexi RSM or the like im sure that would be cool. I could video it also.

I just want to see if Cali's 1.17g is even doable. or better yet, beatable.
Since you're canadian, do you mean 100' radius, or diameter? Diameter would be too small...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

We can draw a circle in a walmart parking lot :thumbleft:
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

crzyone wrote:We can draw a circle in a walmart parking lot :thumbleft:
lol! thats what i was thinking!
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
whipped

Post by whipped »

as long as it's summer and your nuts have thawed, it will work well. :thumbleft:
Chase Race

Post by Chase Race »

aaron wrote:
eHoward wrote:How much would you like to wager?
Enough. Using the standard testing procedures, I do not think it is possible on a Fiero frame with a Fiero body. I contradict myself here, by tube chassis I meant modified frame. Of course a purpose-built tube chassis race car with a Fiero body might be able to do it, but not with anything even remotely resembling a Fiero's structure.
My money is betting with Howard.

After the '96 Solo II Nationals, Road & Track hosted a skidpad challenge. The results used to be on the internet but I couldn't find them. Somebody else probably can.

Anyway, there were a number of stock class autocross cars that pulled over 1G on the skidpad. Stock class Neons and Miatas were in the 1.03 - 1.05 G range, if I remember correctly. The only things that affect handling that can be changed in SCCA Solo II Stock class are tires (hint, hint), shocks, front sway bar, and alignment. Of course all these cars were on autocross tires. I think the BFG Comp T/A R1 was the hot tire at the time.

I think with some competent suspension tuning and good tires, an '88 Fiero should be able to hit 1.17G.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

I can see transient figures in a fiero that go a little over 1G, but not much more. I mean, come on--if I remember right Schumacher rarely hits 2.0 in the Ferrari F1 car.

3+ g? I don't think so.

CKM's car? .89 max. If that. Stock suspension with gut springs and bigger tires/rims doesn't get you that much out of .85 gs.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm going to respectfully disagree Doug.

I don't see a near stock Fiero, even with 325 tires, beating a 1.0g. A new Corvette Z06 can barely break 1.0g IIRC, and it only does so by 1 hundreth. I can see cars doing it, but not with stock frames and suspension design.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I have these in the basement doug:

Chase Race wrote:
My money is betting with Howard.

The number I hear from solo 2 guys is 1.5 peak.

To make a fiero pull Gs you need tires, low CG, lots of spring and lots of damping.