fiero engine instalers in houston texas??

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

84fierotrevor

fiero engine instalers in houston texas??

Post by 84fierotrevor »

OK, who in houston texas can install a northstar v8 into my 1986 4 speed fiero? would like to keep the same tranny. what price am I looking at?
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

to pay someone else to do it?

$$$$+ engine
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Do you want to pay someone for a turn key swap, or have someone do the fab work while you do the wrench work?

Just tossing out a number, but I'd say $2.5K + parts, having already done the swap once.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

First off, do you really want to put a Northstar on a 4 speed tranny? Secondly, do you want to make it so you can't smog your car in California anymore? OK, sure, maybe you'll "know a guy" who will look the other way and risk his smog certificate license with the BAR for and extra $20, but will you ever be able to sell the car and transfer title in California? Not with that set-up.

Don't do it, Trev. If you have just an abundunce of cash and you don't need your car for a couple of years (which is what you would be looking at if you did any swap, call up Schram's and have them look out for a 3.9 VVT engine hooked up to the 6 speed out of the G6. You could be the first baller to get that swap done, and I'm sure Lloyd at Fast Fieros would be interested in doing that.

Don't ruin my car.
My Fiero is now a Finale. The end.
whipped

Post by whipped »

I think design 1 was charging 10k for a turn key swap
84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »

im looking for someone i can drop my car off at, and get pick it up later with a new engine in the back, ready to go, it doesnt have to be a shop, I don't want V8Archie to do it ether I am not impressed with his business practices at all. was really looking for someone that has already done a few swaps, that wouln't mind doing one for some spare cash in his garage in the meantime.

it doesn't have to be a northstar even, a 3800 s/c would work too, I am acctualy looking to spend as little as possible on the swap, If i was going to go big like i planed before, I would do the srt-4 engine and tranny swap. i remember seeing before some people that would swap an engine, laborwise for 2500. if i paid for all the parts. justr wondering if someone near or in houston would be offering somthing like that.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

sinister does swaps but you'd have to get the car to him

if you are looking for less expensive now with future mod capable the 3800sc is the way to go.

drop it in stock it'll be a blast - get bored later then lots of bolt on upgrades
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

60 degree V6 engines like 3100, 3400 and '04-'05 3500 are relatively quick and easy. They respond EXTREMELY well to boost, so later upgrades are quite possible.
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

what about WCF, they're down the "street" from you
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

lloyd is in Texas. he does 3800 sc swaps.
84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:lloyd is in Texas. he does 3800 sc swaps.
doesnt he charge like 5000-10000 for just labor on the swap?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Call him and ask. I've heard good things about his work.
He's in Dallas.

http://www.fastfieros.com/
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Quality cost money. You can't expect to go to a neighborhood hack who does this shit in their backyard on the cheap. You wind up with your car torn apart in their garage while you sit on your thumb waiting for it. See:Akimoto, Master Tuner.

I would agree that an L67 would suit the four speed for more of a dragster feel of a car, but I still think ultimately the automatic transaxle is a better choice.

Whatever route you chose, remember; good, fast, and cheap. You get two if you're lucky when paying someone to do your swap. If you're not ready to put the investment to get a proven builder to do the job, I strongly recommend spending your money and time upgrading the chassis and braking capabilities first. Make the car that is a bit of a handful at the edge with 140 hp ready to do 300 before you make those demands on it. If it were my $2500 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd be talking to Held about some suspension and possibly their braking upgrades.
My Fiero is now a Finale. The end.
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

Wouldn't a 3.4 dohc be a good choice for a manual transmission car that needs to be smoggable? 215hp isn't bad either....its more than a 50% gain over stock.
yellowracer85

Post by yellowracer85 »

yeah dood wat up....you were just down here at WCF last month........buying a shorty shifter and checkin out the right hand drive 81 corolla....
84fierotrevor

Post by 84fierotrevor »

yellowracer85 wrote:yeah dood wat up....you were just down here at WCF last month........buying a shorty shifter and checkin out the right hand drive 81 corolla....
Yeah I was, selling the fiero now tho :(
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

stimpy wrote:Quality cost money. You can't expect to go to a neighborhood hack who does this shit in their backyard on the cheap.
:uhoh: