fiberglass peeling by sunroof!!!!

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

the-dude1

fiberglass peeling by sunroof!!!!

Post by the-dude1 »

ok i think we all know what im talking about when i say that the fiberglass is peeling back by the sunroof!! what should i do? is it better to replace the fiberglass piece or repair it, if so what do i use and how do i use it! i am new at fiberglass work but i need some exp!
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Can't help but I too have fiberglass peeling back like a bitch, 9 years of sitting in the sun will do that. Do you have strands sticking out already? I was just wondering what the correct way was to go about repairing it.
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

yea there is strands sticking out, not bad tho mine has been sitting for 5 years! i would like to hear from people that have fixed the problem.
Darrelk

Post by Darrelk »

First, I'm no expert at this but I have been building kit cars for 35 years now so I've picked up some stuff along the way.
Well, you do know you're not looking at fiberglass, right? That roof is SMC (Sheet Molded Compound). Easy way to tell is that as it breaks loose it seems kind of powdery. That's because SMC has mold release cast completely through the resin for ease of manufacturing. You have to use special resin designed to "stick" to the SMC. Here is about the best I've found... http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=16
If you combine that with some of Evercoats' Sea Glass Matt you can get nice permanent repairs on any SMC panel. I pull this glass off in fine layers and chop it up into 1/8 to 1/4 inch long strands for working an area like this roof panel. I do two layers with the chopped strands in the bottom layer and use the top layer as more like a smooth gel coat so it's easier to dress. Just remember something on this roof. If you even think the area might be accidentally bonded to the metal underneath when you're doing this you're going to have to remove that roof section for the repair. That involves pulling down the trim panels inside, headliner, light console, etc., then unbolting the glass from inside. There's also bolts underneath the plastic trim in the windshield wiper/washer area as well.
Again, this is just what works for me but I've never had a repair "picture" back on any of my glass work.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Good info. I'm going to add that link to the parts/materials library. Thanks.